The Infinitive Form of the Verb
The infinitive form, -ma and -da are basic forms of Estonian verbs from which other forms can be derived.
Infinitives in Estonian fall into two groups:
- -ma infinitive (ends with -ma), sööma, jooma, leidma, kirjutama
- -da infinitive (ends with -da, -ta, -na, -ra, or -a), süüa, leida, kirjutada, hakata, tulla, surra
The endings, -ra, -la, and -na are considered exceptions.
- With -ra, the r is written with an additional r. (sur-ra)
- With -la the l is written with an additional l. (tul-la)
- With -na the n is written with an additional n. (min-na)